Friday, February 10, 2017

My ICL Surgery!


Yesterday was surgery day but between all the excitement I simply couldn't find the time to update on what was happening...

We arrived yesterday morning at 8am on surgery day. Once we checked in, we were taken to an exam room where numbing drops were put into my eyes and my eye pressure was measured. All the staff that we encountered seemed very excited and knew it was my 'big day'. We went to the check-in lady who took payment then reviewed all the post-op instructions. We were taken to the Op holding area where I had several more drops put into my eyes. I was prepared for surgery:


Stylish Cap and Eye Dots...All set!

At a few minutes before 10am I was walked back into the operating room. This is where my nerves finally set in. I remember suddenly being in tears when suddenly my hand was grabbed and I heard a familiar, friendly voice. It was Brianne! (Not Brynn as I had previously thought the spelling was)....And just like that, things got a little less "awkward", lol. As she made small talk with me I remember being very comfortable and the IV was started and that is all I remember from my time in the OR. Next thing I vaguely remember was Dean taking me out to eat, he says we went out for Indian, but I don't really recall. I do remember being amazed at my vision over the course of the day. My right eye was clear from the beginning, but my left eye was very tender and cloudy. After lunch we came back for a post-op follow-up -my right eye was 20/20 and my left eye was 20/70. The doctor said there was a fair amount of inflammation in both eyes, but my left one was markedly worse and would get better over the course of the day. 

I took a nap when we got home and over the course of the day my vision did get better- by nightfall I was amazed at how clearly I could see already. By the time my son got home from school and wanted to play his 'how many fingers am I holding up' he was astounded that I could see him clear to the backyard! I took a lovely walk with a neighbor at night and I just couldn't get over seeing the moon and stars so clearly. 

1 comment: